Worcester’s beautiful and historic bridge spanning the River Severn
It’s believed that there has been a bridge crossing the River Severn at Worcester since medieval times. During the 14th century it was the only place where the river could be crossed in the south midlands region. The closest bridge to the north was at Bridgnorth (25miles) while the closest to the south was located at Gloucester (24miles).
The current bridge was originally designed by John Gwynn an architect of Shrewsbury and first completed in 1781. By the start of the 20th century it was clear that the bridge and its extensions could no longer cope with increased levels of traffic. On the 24 April 1931 full reconstruction and widening of the bridge under the direction of Messrs. L G Mouchel & Partners Ltd began and was completed on 28 October 1932. The new bridge was officially opened by HRH Edward, Prince of Wales who also opened the remodelled Cripplegate Park located nearby. This is the only road crossing within the city centre.
The bridge and its bevy of resident swans has become both a landmark and a tourist destination in its own right as it offers excellent views of the River Severn and the magnificent medieval Worcester Cathedral.
The River Severn is prone to flooding and the bridge is occasionally shut to traffic when the river reaches its maximum height.
ADDRESS & CONTACT
Worcester Bridge, A44, Worcester, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom, WR1 3NN
Sat Nav Postcode: WR1 3NN
Sat Nav Postcode Parking: WR1 3NG