An ancient location with magnificent views and a modern castle.
Located where the Tudor beacons of old once stood, the castle is a monument to commemorate the gift of Beacon Hill to the people of Birmingham and Worcestershire. As one of the highest points for miles around was part of a historic network of beacons that would to signal the arrival of invading armies. It was used again during WWII by air raid wardens and the ROC to look out for enemy planes heading towards Birmingham and the nearby factories of Longbridge.
The land was once part of a royal Hunting Reserve in the stewardship of the Manor of Bromsgrove. It was sold to the Cadbury (chocolate) family in 1907 who then passed it over to the City of Birmingham.
The castle at the Apex of the hill contains a toposcope and was reconstructed in 1988 to mark the centenary of the country park. By all accounts, the original toposcope was a much smaller structure based on a circular platform with a short set of stairs. This may have been incorporated into the existing building in 1988. The views from the toposcope are considered some of the best in the county.
During colder winters there is often snow on the surrounding hill which has become popular for sledging. Beacon Hill Castle has been and remains a popular site for UFO spotters who claim to have seen triangular shaped craft pass over the hill.
ADDRESS & CONTACT
Monument Lane, Lickey (Hills) Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom – B45 9QQ
Sat Nav Postcode: B45 9QQ
Sat Nav Postcode Parking: B45 9QQ: Please note that the parking area is 500m southwest of this Sat Nav location.